Project „Implementation of innovations in the field of energy and fertilizer processing of sewage sludge and biodegradable waste, reducing the negative impact on the environment in a coastal tourist region” (project no. NORW.19.01.01-22-0003/20co-financed by the Norwegian Financial Mechanism Operational Program NORW.00.00.00 Priority Axis 19 Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014-2021 Measure 19.1. New Products and Investments sub-measure 19.1.1. Environmentally Friendly Technologies – Green growth under the „Entrepreneurship Development and Innovation” program Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014-2021.
The purpose of the project
The aim of the project is to implement innovations in the field of energy and fertilizer processing of sewage sludge reducing the negative impact on the environment in a coastal tourist region through a series of process changes in the existing sewage treatment plant, where the main component will be the start of processing sewage sludge with admixtures of biodegradable municipal waste by means of methane fermentation with production of biogas and biofertilizers
The effects of the project:
- Recovery of electricity and heat based on cogeneration through the production of biogas from excess sewage sludge as a result of methane fermentation, and additional recovery of electricity through a photovoltaic installation, for the sewage treatment plant’s own needs.
- Reduction of the amount and improvement of the properties of sewage sludge sent for composting and the development of new alternative fertilizers thanks to methane fermentation of the sludge excessive and subsequent process changes
- Reduction of odor nuisance resulting from better stabilization of sewage sludge, thanks to process changes and methane fermentation of excess sludge
- Reducing the negative impact on the environment resulting from the high seasonality of the sewage inflow, resulting from the tourist character of the town, through the use of technological solutions specially dedicated to such a condition
- Application of one new waste stream on the Applicant’s scale and examination of the possibility of practical use of three subsequent waste streams (as co-substrates) in the process of biogas production, particularly burdensome for tourist destinations in the coastal belt (cooperation with a Norwegian partner and a Polish research unit).
- Commencement of providing new services in the field of processing subsequent streams of biodegradable waste
The project includes the introduction of solutions unique in Europe and Poland in the installation of Spółka Wodna „Łeba”, such as:
- Innovative technology for biogas production on a scale below 50 kW in sludge management, as a result of methane fermentation of mixed: parts of thickened excess sludge (so far only composted) and co-substrates not used in the company so far, which, combined with the current composting plant for final digestate and biodegradable waste, will significantly increase recycling organic waste.
- Innovative on a NATIONAL scale, the process of heat recovery from the methane fermentation process using a low-temperature heating network to increase energy autonomy (thanks to cooperation with a Polish scientific unit).
- Innovative on a EUROPEAN scale co-fermentation process in a micro-biogas plant (< 50 kW) in sludge management, of sewage sludge with other substrates that have not been used so far in order to develop waste that has not been processed so far for waste treatment plants in a dynamically developing coastal tourist region and maximize biogas production, reducing the negative effects of seasonality resulting from the uneven inflow of substrate-sludge to the biogas plant in the off-season.
- A NATIONWIDE-innovative solution at a treatment plant up to 100,000 pe, consisting in quality control of substrates in terms of biogas potential, before they go to the biogas plant, by implementing its own Production Quality Control Department (thanks to cooperation with a Norwegian partner).
- A NATIONWIDE innovative solution for seaside towns and in general
seasonal towns, consisting in education and transfer of knowledge on the operation and operation of a micro biogas plant with a demonstration function, developed and adapted to work in particular in conditions of seasonal sewage inflow, which may have a positive impact on solving similar problems in other regions struggling with the negative impact seasonality of municipal wastewater production in coastal tourist destinations to pollutants flowing to inland and sea waters
- A NATIONWIDE innovative communication and education solution for waste producers individual and institutional in the field of waste segregation and preparation biodegradable, i.e. catering and kitchen waste, fruit and vegetable remains, including peelings, coffee and tea grounds, egg shells and food remains (without waste of animal origin – e.g. bones or meat leftovers).
- An innovative product in the scale of EUROPE in the form of a mineral-organic fertilizer based on composted, digested sludge and recovered nitrogen in the form of struvite z using a new source of waste-derived ions to reduce outgoing load of pollutants during the tourist season, i.e. from May to September (thanks to cooperation with the Polish scientific unit),
- Innovative in the scale of the REGION, the service of processing biodegradable green waste, after prior education of residents.
The implementation of the project takes place in 6 key stages:
First stage : Construction/modernization of excess sludge facilities, installation of pipelines
technology, modernization of digested sludge facilities, construction and assembly
micro biogas plant facilities, development and installation of automation, control and IT tools
As part of the stage, the current oxygen stabilization chambers will be modernized into tanks excess sludge storage tanks and thickened sludge buffer tank. A station for mechanical thickening of excess sludge will be built with a sludge pumping station (construction of a new facility and purchase of a mechanical compactor with equipment). The sludge dewatering and hygienization building will be modernized (purchase of a new decanter centrifuge with the necessary equipment). A methane fermentation unit will be built along with a fermentation and cogeneration system and a technical container. Automation control software will be installed.
STAGE 2 – Installation of the photovoltaic system
As part of the task, a photovoltaic installation with a capacity of 49.9 kW will be built. Layout of 3 separate installation with 3 inverters (inverters). Mounting system in the construction on the roofs of sewage treatment plants.
STAGE 3 – Technological start-up and construction of the Production Quality Control Department (DKJP)
During the stage, the technological start-up of the methane fermentation unit will take place. will stay adapted and retrofitted room in the building of Spółka Wodna „Łeba” for the Production Quality Control Department. The necessary equipment will also be purchased to control the new co-substrates planned for supplementation of the fermentation feedstock.
STAGE 4 – Research on co-digestion of new waste streams and optimization of biogas production (Norwegian partner) This stage was divided into 3 tasks:
- Estimation of techno-economic potential, including the availability of additional streams
waste in the region for co-digestion.
- Optimization of mix compositions of new waste substrates to maximize
- biogas production, taking into account the seasonality of sewage sludge availability estimation of phosphorus content in digestate for agricultural use.
STAGE 5 – Additional development work in the Polish research unit
This stage was divided into 4 tasks:
- Research on the possibility of nitrogen recovery from digestate and the production of a solid fertilizer (biofertilizer) with a slow release of nutrients
- Research on the impact of rescaling the process on biogas profitability from the planned one co-digestion of new waste streams.
- The concept and design of a system for heat recovery from fermentation chambers.
- Research on the agronomic efficiency of a new fertilizer.
STAGE 6 – External tests and certification of the developed biofertilizers ,At this stage, the certification process of the new ones developed as a result of the project is planned biofertilizers.